>>>---OA--->

A place where Olivia Arrow shares her work and other creative themes at random intervals. Thanks for viewing, hope you enjoy!

5/15/11

Comically Conventional

So I finally made it to my first comic convention! Not sure what took me so long, but now that I have, I think I'm hooked!
I went to the opening day of C2E2, back in March. This was seriously the most fun I've experienced in a while. I loved seeing all the people in costume, cruising around in awesome/weird get-ups they put together.

c2e2 costumes(Craziness)

There was an almost overwhelming array of booths with comics, art, and mad stuff (swords?). I didn't make it to any of the workshops, or see any celebrities (ahem, Thor made an appearance the day after I was there), but it was plenty entertaining despite that. I especially loved that you could meet and talk with artists and writers, and I wanted to share a few of them here.

c2e2 ugly (Ugly dolls galore)

At the Archaia booth we met Tom Pinchuk, the writer of a super crazy comic inspired by Greek mythology called "Hybrid Bastards". The story is super wild and the art, by Kate Glasheen, matches the madness! I think her watercolor illustrations are incredible and truly unique.
I also walked through the rows of tables were artists sat with their portfolios and you could meet them, buy their stuff or just watch them sketching. I found this was the most inspiring part of the event.

c2e2 jawa(Rad Jawa)

I met a few of these artists and they encouraged me to get my art out there, which I definitely plan to do more of (that's kind of the point of this blog). One of them was Christopher Herdon, who was super nice and GAVE me a print of his! My favorite of his works were dinosaurs and mammoths and I just found out he did the art for an ice age-themed comic, Terra Tempo, which I must have.
Also, I met the incredible Fiona Meng, who was a huge sweetheart and whose art I envy and adore.
The whole experience was so inspiring, I went home and made a comic that week!
But more on that later.
Until then, be a proud nerd and get your butt to a comic convention at least once. You won't regret it.
XOXOlivia

2 comments:

Felicity said...

The comics expo that I went to here in Boston last fall was one of the highlights of my 2010. It was smaller than a "convention" and no cool costumed characters hanging out, but all that creativity in one spot was so energizing and inspiring!!

O Arrow said...

Isn't it so fun? I am definitely going again, possibly dressed as some sort of character! You should too.